Commercial Bike Racks Earn LEED Points
When designing your next project with LEED — Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design — in mind, consider adding commercial bike racks as a means of green building and earning LEED points.
As part of LEED, the intent is to promote “bicycling and transportation efficiency and reduce vehicle distance traveled. To improve public health by encouraging utilitarian and recreational physical activity.”
What follows are the LEED requirements for commercial bicycle racks:
Meet the following requirements in 90% of all new buildings. The buildings that do not have bicycle storage may not exceed 10% of the total project building floor area.
Non-residential other than retail
Provide short-term bicycle storage for at least 2.5% of peak visitors, but no fewer than four storage spaces per building.
Provide long-term bicycle storage for at least 5% of all regular building occupants, but no fewer than four storage spaces per building in addition to the short-term bicycle storage spaces. Provide at least one on-site shower with changing facility for the first 100 regular building occupants and one additional shower for every 150 regular building occupants thereafter.
Multiunit residential buildings
- Provide short-term bicycle storage for at least 2.5% of all peak visitors, but no fewer than four storage spaces per building.
- Provide long-term bicycle storage for at least 30% of all regular building occupants, but no less than one storage space per residential unit.
- Provide at least two short-term bicycle storage spaces for every 5,000 square feet (465 square meters), but no fewer than two storage spaces per building.
- Provide long-term bicycle storage for at least 5% of regular building occupants, but no fewer than two storage spaces per building in addition to the short-term bicycle storage.
- Provide at least one on-site shower with changing facility for the first 100 regular building occupants and one additional shower for every 150 regular building occupants thereafter.
Meet the above requirements for the project’s non-residential, multi-unit residential, and retail spaces.
For all projects:
- Short-term bicycle storage must be within 100 feet (30 meters) walking distance of any main entrance. Long-term bicycle storage must be within 100 feet (30 meters) walking distance of any functional entry. It must be easily accessible to all building users.
- Shower and changing facility requirements may be met by providing the equivalent of free access to on-site health club shower facilities, if the health club can be accessed without going outside.
- Additionally, meet the requirements of at least one of the following two options.
Option 1. bikable location (1 point)
Locate the project such that the project boundary is within ¼ mile (400 meters) bicycling distance of an existing bicycle network that connects to at least one of the following.
- at least 10 diverse uses;
- a school or employment center, if the project total floor area is 50% or more residential; or
- a bus rapid transit stop, light or heavy rail station, commuter rail station, or ferry terminal.
All destinations must be within a 3-mile (4800-meter) bicycling distance of the project boundary.
Option 2. bicycle network (1 point)
Design the project such that at least 50% of dwelling units and nonresidential use entrances are located on an existing or planned bicycle network extending at least three continuous miles (4800 meters). Within those three miles (4800 meters), the network must connect to one of the following:
- a school;
- an employment center; or
- at least 10 diverse uses
Wagner has been producing commercial bike racks for decades. Produced from continuous, Schedule 40, 2″ Nominal pipe, for the most part, these commercial bike racks are available from stock for quick shipment. Wagner serpentine commercial bike racks are produced in high-quality steel or type 304 stainless steel. One, three, five, seven, nine and eleven loop commercial bike racks are available.
These commercial bike racks are easily installed for high security using an in-ground mount or available surface mount kits. Contact Wagner regarding ways in which our commercial bike racks can be uniquely branded for your location – i.e., adding signage or incorporating a logo into the design.
Wagner also stocks our own “BikeRail” Bicycle Racks which are available in one, three, and five loop serpentine configurations. Bike Rail is a component Bike Rack which is shipped “knockdown” and is packaged to ship by FedEx. Non-weld splices are utilized for simple assembly. For surface or embed mount. Available in galvanized or painted steel.
Bicycle Racks have become a popular way for local communities to invest in public art. Wagner can provide custom options by either using laser cut insert panels or taking your design and turning it into reality.
For information on Wagner’s stock bike racks, go to our shopping site.
Looking for some ideas on a custom bicycle rack? Visit our Pinterest Commercial Bike Rack page.
Click here to request a quote on a custom bike rack.
View information on typical placement of commercial bike racks.
All Wagner bicycle racks are made in the USA — produced right here in Milwaukee.
Comments are closed.
Our group is interested in a bike shaped bike rack.